Outdoor Adventure Programming
Summer is for animal lovers! Hitting the trail with your furry friend is a dream come true. Before you and your best friend head outdoors, check out these tips and tricks to stay safe in the parks and beat the summer heat:
- Bring extra water for you and your pup and a collapsible bowl.
- Check the temperature of any paved trails by touching it beforehand. If it’s too hot for your skin then it’s probably too hot for your dog’s paw pads.
- Beat the midday heat with an early morning or nighttime adventure.
- Keep Fido (and yourself!) cool with a wet towel. Pack several towels that you can wet and place on your dog to help them cool down.
- Check your dog for ticks before leaving the park.
- If you’re planning a longer trip in hot weather, plan to bring a cool vest. This will help regulate your dog’s temperature.
- To keep your dog and wildlife safe, make sure to keep your dog leashed and on pet-friendly trails.
- If you’re looking to try out a new water activity with your dog, keep their comfort level and swimming skills in mind. Life jackets are a great way to keep your pet safe if they fall off your kayak or paddleboard and most dog life jackets have a handle to make it easier to get them back on!
Metro Parks Outdoor Adventure is a great resource for outdoor recreation with your furry friends. Check out our dog-friendly programs, including dog hikes and stand up paddleboarding. Make sure your dog is prepared with good lake manners and a well-fitted life jacket! Cats are always welcomed to come as well.
2 thoughts on “Summer fun with your furry friend”
I didn’t know we could bring our dogs to Paddleboarding…. I leave George when working so I don’t like to leave him at home evenings
I’ve never seen any articles on including dogs w/events.
I’d like info on it please 😁
Hi, Ellen. Metro Parks Outdoor Adventure hosts these events, so you can follow them on Facebook for program information. Thanks!
Comments are closed.