You may remember when REI did something different on Black Friday last year—they closed the co-op’s doors and invited the nation to opt outside with them. And more than a million people did just that. It really caught the attention of our community.
Black Friday #OptOutside Social Media Contest:
This year on Black Friday we’re going to join REI outside and we’d like you to opt outside with us by skipping the malls and celebrate life outdoors. Let’s take it a step further. Participate in the 2016 #OptOutside Social Media Contest sponsored by REI, Metro Parks and Friends of Metro Parks for a chance to win some pretty sweet SWAG. Here’s what you do…
- Go to any of the 19 Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks on Friday November 25.
- Find the official Black Friday 2016 OptOutside poster on a bulletin board or in a nature center
- Take a selfie with the poster
- Post your image on Facebook before midnight on Friday November 25 and tag:
- Use the hashtag #OptOuside
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! The winner will be announced on Monday November 28.
Black Friday Activities
Do you love trails, horizons and crags more than crowds? Head to one of the Metro Parks’ activities below for some quality outdoor time.
- Battelle Darby Creek – Wild Turkey Walk @ 1:30pm
- Blacklick Woods – Photo Scavenger Hunt
- Clear Creek – Memory Rock Backcountry Hike
- Pickerington Ponds – Off-trail Wetlands Walk
- Scioto Audubon – Climbing Wall & Obstacle Course